Friday, June 21, 2013

Maybelline Fit Me concealer vs. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer

The beauty world has been buzzing about the new NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. I wanted to see how it held up to a drugstore concealer, specifically Maybelline's Fit Me concealer. I watched a YouTube video (by Makeup Geek if you're wondering) comparing the two, so I thought I'd pick them both up to see if I agreed with the findings.

The Maybelline Fit Me concealer retails at CVS for $6.99 and you get .23 fluid ounce of product. The NARS concealer retails at Sephora for $28 and you get .22 fluid ounce of product. On the Maybelline website the concealer comes in 6 shades, while the Nars concealer comes in 10 shades. I have shade 15 Fair in the Maybelline and Vanilla in the Nars. Both products are a good color match for me, and in both ranges there is 1 shade lighter (although I've never seen the lightest shade of the Maybelline in stores). I would say that the Maybelline is a touch deeper than the Nars, and if I ever saw the lighter shade in stores I would probably try it out.

The main difference I find between these two is the consistency of the product. The Maybelline has more of a fluid consistency, while the Nars, true to it's namesake, is creamier. I find that both of the products blend and cover nicely, but the Nars you have to blend very quickly as it tends to dry a bit faster. The Maybelline works ok to blend out with your fingers, but the coverage is better if you blend it out with a brush. The Nars can be blended with your fingers, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it dries so quickly and is so creamy it responds better to a brush. The Nars seems to last longer throughout the day, but the difference between the two in terms of lasting power is very hard to notice. When I was testing them out I wore one under my left eye and the other under my right eye. Side by side you don't notice any difference, and at the end of the day it was hard to see any difference, but the Nars was holding up a bit better. In terms of actual coverage I would say, due to the creaminess, the Nars covers a bit well without as much product. But, the Maybelline one can be built up to the same coverage, but it just takes slightly more product.

Bottom line for me is that the Nars out performs the Maybelline by just the tiniest of bits. If the price point is something that's important for you (it is for me, as I buy drugstore products more often than high end), the Maybelline is an excellent concealer and one I will re-purchase (probably in the lighter shade to test out). However, the Nars is just kind of perfect and definitely worth the splurge. Have you guys tried them out? What do you think?

Nars on top swatch, Maybelline on bottom
 

Random Thoughts:

Finally tried out Gunshow (restaurant in Atlanta) such an awesome concept for a restaurant, I really enjoyed everything about the experience.

I've been trying to cook more at home, trying out new recipes. I really enjoy cooking, but cooking for 2 people is sometimes hard. Anyone have any recipes they want to share??

 

No comments: