Monday, May 13, 2013

My Favorite Spring Nail Polishes

How often do ya'll change your nail polish? For me it's about once a week (or whenever my polish starts chipping off). While I enjoy going to get my nails done, I usually end up doing them myself. Something about the process reminds me of my grandmother teaching me how to take care of my nails and painting them for me when I was a little girl. Spring is a great time to experiment with some color! Since spring fashion trends are very colorful, why not get a little adventurous with your nails? I typically like to paint 9 of my nails one color and have a "bonus nail" for a little pop (usually glitter of some sort). If you're just starting to experiment with fun colors, try painting 9 of them a neutral and use the "bonus nail" as a great pop of color. Below you'll find my favorite nail polishes for spring.

 

The first two polishes I want to talk about are from the Essie Resort Collection which came out this year. The collection has four polishes, but I only bought two of them. The first one is a lovely green shade called First Timer. Mint green seems to have been a big trend last year, and this year it's become an even bigger trend. First timer is a bit deeper and brighter than the traditional mint green polish. It would be a great option if you wanted to do some Ombre nails with another mint polish. The other color I bought was In The Cab-ana. This is a beautiful robin's egg blue shade, that is bright. I bought both of these shades at Walgreens and they retail for $8.00 a bottle, but if you're on the lookout you can sometimes find a buy one get one free deal. Both of the swatches below are with 2 coats of polish.


The next two polishes I want to tell ya'll about are by Wet and Wild. Wet and Wild is a drugstore brand of makeup that has really stepped up their game in recent years. These polishes are in the Megalast collection. I typically purchase these at CVS where they retail for an amazing $1.99 a bottle. I have quite a few of these polishes and am always impressed with the quality you get from these for the price. The first color I want to tell you about is 218A I Need a Refresh-Mint and it's a great mint green shade. The next color is a nice bubblegum pink color called 209C Candy-licious. These polishes apply very evenly and come with what they called Manicurve Pro Brush. This brush is a bit wider than most other nail polishes, and allows for a pretty even distribution of product. Both of the swatches below are with 2 coats of polish.
Neon is a huge trend this Spring and that includes nails! Milani is another drugstore brand of makeup that makes great products for reasonable prices. I find their nail polishes to be very pigmented and often they need only 1 coat to get a true color, but the neon colors are a bit more sheer so two coats would be best. The two shades I'm going to be showing you are from the neon line. The first one is a neon yellow called 503 Totally 80's. This one can be hard to get an even color (which most yellow polishes are notorious for), and so 3 coats is best. If you let each coat dry before applying the next, it's easier to avoid stickiness. The other shade is neon orange is is called 502 Awesome Orange. This is a bit more opaque and you can get nice even coverage with 2 coats. Yellow polish shown with 3 coats, orange polish with 2 coats.
Refreshmint: 2 coats
Refreshmint: 2 coats

I hope you all found some inspiration for your spring time nails. Let me know in the comments below what your favorite colors are for spring.

 

 

Random Thoughts:

* I'm so excited for the warmer weather we're getting, but I hate the rainy days. I guess we need a good balance of both to wash away the pollen.

* For some crazy reason I really want to plant a lemon tree. I live in an apartment so it would have to be in a pot. I've never planted anything before, so needless to say I have some concerns.

* My birthday is coming up! While a lot of people don't seem to make a big deal out of their birthdays as they get older, I love celebrating my with friends. Every year I have a costume party, because only dressing up once a year for Halloween is never enough.

 

 

 

No comments: